If you plan to visit Rann of Kutch this year, here is a travel guide with an overview of this place, including some important notes.
Rann Utsav is an amazing festival in Kutch, Gujarat, India, where you experience a carnival of music, dance and the natural beauty of the White Rann.
It is a family vacation destination to explore fun times and save the picture in your cameras for a lifetime.
Let us see how to get there!
Kutch does not have a dedicated airport or train station; the Rann of Kutch, or Kutch in Gujarat, is only accessible by road as it is mostly an arid desert.
Therefore, in this place, there are different possible ways to go to a nearby area that is Bhuj.
The nearest airport to Kutch is Bhuj (53 km), the administrative city of Kutwich, and it has flights from all major cities in India.
Kutch does not have a railway station. Bhuj (70 km) is the nearest railway station, with several trains connecting from major Indian cities like Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Pune, Jaipur, Kolkata and Delhi.
Regular public transport and private buses connect Bhuj to nearby cities like Mumbai, Surat, Baroda and Ahmedabad.
Almost all the roads leading to the Rann of Kutch are in good condition except for a few patches. A road trip to Kutch can give you a wonderful experience with the cloudless landscape around you. Many tourists prefer to travel to Kutch by car, as it offers privacy and the ability to make as many stops as possible.
Travel agencies easily provide taxis in Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Rajkot, Surat and other places at reasonable rates to visit Rann of Kutch.
Remember to bring a photocopy of your passport as you will need it to enter the Rann of Kutch. Submit a photocopy of your passport cover to the office—a Photostat store in one of the villages, about 10 minutes from the police checkpoint.
For the Indians
It is mandatory to have an identity card (passport, voter’s card or driver’s license). This will be carefully checked at the police checkpoint.
One of the best things that have happened in the last 2 years is that you now have the option to apply online for the Great Rann of Kutch entry permit. Please be aware that this website is only accessible to Indian visitors who want to request a Great Rann of Kutch Entrance Permit.
1. Go to the Rann Permits website.
2. Click the “Get Your License” button.
3. On the permit application form, enter details such as “From Date”, “To Date”, and “Number of Travelers”. At a time, you can only enter the information of 10 street vendors to get their permission.
4. Once you click on the Next button, you will be redirected to the traveller details page, where you will need to enter the “Full Name”, “Gender”, and “Age.”
5. You must then select the lead traveller whose contact details and full proof of identity will need to be submitted.
6. The details of the car must then be entered. If you do not have a vehicle, you can simply select the “No vehicle” option.
7. You will then be redirected to the confirmation page to verify your details. Once you have checked everything, you can click on the “Pay Now” button to continue. You will have access to the Axis Easy Pay website, where you will have the option to pay using Net Banking or your credit/debit cards.
After payment is made, you will receive the permit in your email ID, which you can print out for display at the Great Rann of Kutch Gate.
One of the most famous parts of visiting the Great Rann of Kutch is its festive Rann Utsav.
Now I won’t say it’s the best to see (I can’t say about the tent city, maybe it’s a little different inside) but the little part I witnessed was just like any normal mela (party). You can shop for beautiful Gujarati outfits and accessories and enjoy delicious Gujarati thali.
You can also see a local show, and you have several stalls to admire and enjoy.
Overall, I would say the Rann Utsav celebration outside Tent City was like any normal celebration. So it’s perfectly fine if you decide to ignore it completely.
If you’re looking for an out-of-the-ordinary travel experience, definitely check out the Rann of Kutch. This desert country brings a lot to the table in the form of incredible views, delicious food, shopping till you drop, and, of course, welcoming locals.
If you’ve made up your mind to travel to the Rann of Kutch, Cleartrip should handle your accommodation and flight bookings. Enjoy your stay in Kutch.